SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I just had a major service done on my motorcycle. The shop picked it up and called about 48 hrs later with a complete estimate of what it needed. They called again, while working on it to give me a status report and fill me in on a heavily corroded fuel pump they noticed. No pressure to get a new one, but wanted me to know and were fully prepared with exactly what a new one would cost, if I wanted them to replace it.

I have the bike back already.

By comparison, I put a request for an estimate on equally routine work with my boat yard about a week before I sent the bike in. I still don't have the estimate. I'm telling you, service standards in marine contracting are horrible on comparison to every there industry I deal with.
Minnewaska--

I hate to say this but your experience may be regional and symptomatic of the northeast. We're originally from San Francisco and the only times we've had serious difficulty with marine contractors was while traveling in the northeast. New Jersey seemed particularly bad with New York, Conn and Mass not far behind. As I say, perhaps it was just a fluke, but...I'm glad we're where we are, rather than there. Good luck old son.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook