Thread: Miami to Bimini
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Miami to Bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
So much theory and so little seamanship!
Maybe? If you are anchored in Miami, are you going 30 miles to Angelfish, 50 miles to Rodriguez to jump to Bimini? Even farther to Marathon. I'll be sitting in Bimini drinking a Kalik when you get there. I'm not sure if it's better seamanship to sail 100 (or more) miles Vs 42+a bit? It's a pay me now, or pay me later thing, with the Gulfstream.

I'm just kidding (a little). The fact is that a first-timer, with all the hype about the Gulfstream, is looking at that enticing shorter distance. That was my mistake too. No matter how great a weather window you have, the stream will be there. It has a greater effect than a first-timer realizes. Once across, that new guy has the experience, and will learn from it.

We'll just skip Bimini this year. There isn't much there, but won't discourage others from going there. We'll just head to Nassau to check in, or Bullock's Harbor, and check out more of the Berries. Or the Abacos.... crap! So much to see!!! We're still figuring out the Bahamas. The Gulfstream is a piece of cake.

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/?xjMsgID=272108

Last edited by RTB; 10-11-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook