SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our New Boat
Thread: Our New Boat
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013
Crazy Woman Boat Driver

Melrna will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Melrna Send a message via Yahoo to Melrna
Re: Our New Boat

Update for those interested. We just spent a week on the boat for the intial shakedown cruise. First, Lets talk sailing. It is a fast boat. She likes 9.2 knots. I have custom sails from Mack Sails in Florida, not Catalina OEM sails. This hull is easliy driven by both wind and motor. This is a big surprise for me. I moved most of my stuff from my last boat so she is not "Factory light"!. Winds at 10 knots I can get 7.5 knots and winds over 15 knots she becomes a race horse. She point well to 30 degrees. Motoring, at 80% power the speed jumps to 8.7 - 9.0 knots. For one that has been cruising at 5.5-6 knots my whole sailing life this is a whole new ballgame.
Second big surprise was ease of sailing handling. I move up from a 36' boat to this 44' boat so both the genoa and mainsail square foot differential is huge. I can easliy trim the boat without the use of the electric winches. However, electric winches are sooo nice. I see a spoiled sailor in my future.
Third little surprise. Anchoring. Big anchor, 55 lbs Ronca, 200' of big chain (3/8), huge snubber from Mantus. Not sure boat is set up right on the rollers. I think I need a bigger roller since the OEM is 5/16th chain. I found out I cannot manhandle this set-up.
Docking this big boat. Pucker factor - infinite!. I have no experience docking a boat in big current. The current rips here in GA at 2-3 knots. So for now, my life revolves around slack tide. Bowthruster is of no use in this type of current. I have a lot to learn here. One big surprise is the docking with twin helms. My throttle is on the starboard side. Docking on the port side is hard to judge where things are due to the size of this boat. It is almost like docking a catamarn. Just time and practice to get the eyes calibrated. We spent one whole day just practicing docking. Need a lifetime I think. This boat requires a whole new set of skills in this area.
Electronics- We got the new Raymarine hybrid touch screen and I-70 set up. It is a lot different than my old C-90 and ST-60's. In some ways I like my old ST-60's better. The new chartplotter has more features but at times can be hard to find the information I was used too. I have AIS too, and it has beed a blessing here in Bruniswick to communicate with the big ships that transit the channel. The new HD radar is amazing.
Disappointments. Heads. Too small for this size boat. Engine noise - Loud. Electrical - alternator charging with the 1,2 both switch. I have 3 battery banks. In order to charge the batteries I have to move this switch, I will change this out first thing and put in an echo charger. Air Conditioning pump - Open ampeture in a wet bilge.
Liveaboard factor. 10 all the way. Other than the small heads, this is a wonderful boat downstairs. Tons of storage space. I love the 3rd cabin (flex room) for storage. I can carry some serious stuff in here when we cut the docklines next year.
Let talk sailing. Did I tell you all it is a fast boat!
Catalina 445, Hull #90

Last edited by Melrna; 10-12-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook