SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Boat...Boat Term Question...
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
Okay ,looks like I'm about 30 days away from buying a boat I've been looking at quite a few cruisers for sale here.

Haven't looked at any Catalina's though, lol

Right now my choice is between...

(keep in mind prices are in Canadian dollars not US)

1968 Spencer 31' "$25,000"

Great condition, fin keel, solid fiberglass hull, although needs new main. If I were to take her to Fiji like I'm planning to, I'd have some things to install like a fridge, wind-vane, and possibly radar to make my girlfriend feel safer on board on that Ocean passage.

The only thing I don't like about this boat is that it has a gasoline engine. Althought I probably wouldn't use it much, I don't like gasoline. The engine is virtually brand new.

Comments? What you prefer? Diesel or Gas?

This boat has been sailed across the Pacific by previous owners.

Very sturdy.

1984 Spencer 35' "$49,000"

Awesome condition, completely re-done interrior with beautiful wood-work. Full keel. Diesel.

This boat is full equiped for blue water sailing and comes with EVERYTHING. Radar, GPS, VHF, Fridge Chart plotters, charts for the whole pacific, flares, life jackets, good sails, whisker pole, dinghy, etc.... everything. Is in superb condition from what I saw.

The previous owner sailed offshore and outfitted the whole vessel for offshore sailing.

I could possibly put in an offer for $44,000, as that's as high as I'm willing to go.

And choice 3,...

1968 Discovery 32' "$20,000"

Fiberglass. Diesel engine. Bulb keel boat. The boat is simple, in great condition on the inside and outside, and has quite a few electronics on it (no radar though)...

I like the feel of it, and it is definitely a more visually appaeling boat than the spencers.

So... the choice is coming to... Do I splurge and get the "big boat" with the full keel perfect for the sailing I intend to do through the Pacific... or.... get one of the smaller blue water boats with the fin keels and bulb keels that will probably require a few more addons.

The big boat will probably not cost me much extra in terms of add ons. The older boats might need repairs in a few years as well, who knows.

What do you think?

Does anyone own a Spencer?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook