SailNet Community - View Single Post - Anchor Snubbers Redux
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Re: Anchor Snubbers Redux

I'm sort of between Minnewaska and TQA on this.

I use about 2 metres of nylon 3-strand with a stainless chain hook.

I set the anchor completely done. When it is fully set, I hook the chain hook onto the chain and let the chain out. As the hook goes over the roller, keep tension on the line, pass it around the front and lay it over the other bow roller. Then it goes onto to mooring cleat and the chain runs out until a decent loop of chain hangs below the hook and the snubber line is taught.

I have never in decades of anchoring, had it unhook. And even if it did, so what?

For me it's about sound insulation, not shock absorbtion. If you have your anchor set with the right amount of scope, the catenary of the chain should provide all the shock absorbtion one should need.

When weighing anchor I ignore the hook completely and reel in the chain. As the chain loop disappears, the hook just drops off and hangs there until the anchor is stowed. When the anchor is safely stowed, pull in the snubber and put it away.

It's hard to make this sound complicated, it's too easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."

Arthur C. Clarke
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook