SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had the boat two days, two problems already...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Had the boat two days, two problems already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whroeder View Post
BOAT - Better Open Another Thousand
One good thing about the OP's Catalina 22 is that it is more like "another hundred".

Smaller boats in the 22-25' range are a great starting point for that reason. It's hard to even come up with items on them that cost $1000. New sails for a Catalina 22 can easily be acquired from major lofts (like North Sails) at well under $500 ea, a 4hp outboard is barely over $1000, they don't soak up much bottom paint, etc.

They are also tons of fun to sail and very forgiving.

The downside is that they are quite compact when it is time to go cruising. A friend did a 2 week trip on his Catalina 22 last summer, half of it with his girlfriend, but the experience just made him want a bigger boat. I had the same realization when doing a 12 day trip on a Catalina 25 with my wife.

Whenever I see brand new site members asking about buying 51' boats for their first boat I wonder if they realize that BOAT in that case stands for "break out another tenThousand".