SailNet Community - View Single Post - Had the boat two days, two problems already...
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Had the boat two days, two problems already...

I wouldn't put roller furling on a Catalina 22. Get two foresails, a jib in the 135-150% size range and another in the 100-110% size range. A hank-on headsail is really easy to manage on this size of boat, and the 100% headsail will sail a whole lot better than a 135% rolled down to 100%. Since storage space is tight on a 22' boat it's worth getting a jib-bag that can cover a hank-on sail while it is still hanked on. Save that investment for the next boat (or don't...I often wonder why I put roller furling on my Pearson).

Spinnaker pole expense is in the ends, not the aluminum. The best way to get these cheaply is to find a used one.

The expensive part of roller furling isn't the spool, it is the two sets of bearings (at the tack and head) that need to be very smooth even under very high loads, and the upper bearing has to slide up and down the roller furling extrusions nicely too. The systems aren't that different on a 22' vs a 35', so this is one case where smaller doesn't save you too much. That said Harken does make a nicer small system called the 00AL that is a lot cheaper than the Mark IV while being similar in performance.

Avoid being drawn in by an inexpensive CDI or Alado furler. Halyard tension is a useful sail shape control, and those furlers make it very hard to adjust. The simpler design allows them to be less expensive, but I think you are giving up too much.
Minnesail (10-13-2013)