SailNet Community - View Single Post - Baggett and Sons East Coast Road Trip
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: Baggett and Sons East Coast Road Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Unfortunately, I doubt it.

At our yard, DIY is permitted on the hard or at your slip, but not inside. I think that is common. If you bring a contractor on the hard or at the slip, they must demonstrate they have insurance, be approved by the manager and someone pays a 15% vig to the yard. I have no doubt that some of the yard's employees, who didn't get the work, would be jerks about it too. The manager in particular. For inside storage, they don't even permit DIY, let alone a contractor.

When they stink at what they do, a monopoly is about their only weapon.

I believe that inside storage has waiting lists around here. And VERY expensive. $12 - $15 per sqft, plus the mast. Since you can't do any work yourself, you increase the winter storage bill even further to pay them. I know one yard that won't even haul your boat, unless you pay them to winterize it.
That seems very restrictive! I can kind of understand some of it though. One of the issues we struggle with here is that there is no difference for yard or inside work area rates between companies who pay for a shop here and those who work out of the back of a truck with no paperwork, insurance, safety equipment etc. Often with no experience and no thought to controlling their dust and waste. It gets everywhere and costs us a lot to manage, as we can't expect our customer's to pay for the added expense to clean up after them. Very hard to compete with them too, when we pay 10x as much in overhead, and maintain a clean and safe workplace and provide a solid warranty for our work.

CharlieCobra: Good luck with your road trip, hope you come through the winter ok!
We've enjoyed following your projects in the shop here. Looking at a similar trip for Dec-Feb unless things change dramatically. Two of our guys have decided to stay behind, and take the time off. Are you taking everyone? Going with a cube van, or ?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook