SailNet Community - View Single Post - Free standing rigging?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2013

awaywego is on a distinguished road
Free standing rigging?

Been a while since we have posted, but have always received great feedback from this forum. We're a married couple with the goal of cruising for as many months/years possible starting in 2016. At that time, our two little girls will be 3 and 4. We live in Beaufort, SC and plan to coastal cruise the SE, gaining confidence in our abilities and our boat before venturing further.

We're still in the "which boat should we get" stage. We've received some great tips so far on components that people recommend.

I've been looking at a 1988 Hunter Vision 32 online and it seems to have a lot of the "liveaboard" features I desire (spacious cozy salon in great condition, room for two adults and two little girls to sleep, larger head than any I've seen on a boat this size, air conditioning, etc). I'm unsure about storage space and expand ability of tankage.

I know nothing about the reputation of the Freedom Rig on this boat, however. Would seem to be one less thing to have to maintain, having no shrouds or backstay. More room on the deck. I have read that they sail well except upwind. Does anybody have any firsthand experience with this boat from the "liveaboard cruiser" perspective or any helpful information in general?