SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts on new Beneteau Oceanis 40
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2007

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
As everybody around here knows, we sail a Beneteau. For us we love our boat. Our model is a 2001 361; Perfect for our needs.

IF your intentions are to use the boat for costal cruising and nothing more, than I would say yes, the Beneteau would make a good fit.
If you plan on someday making open passages, than you should probably consider something else.

Me personally (Even as the owner of a 2001 model), I am not very pleased with the new models. They now have a 40, 46, & 49. It’s just my opinion but the curves they are adding to the coach roof are not aesthetically pleasing. That’s just my opinion.

The newer production boats get a bad rap for their interior build quality, but you are buying a new 40ft. boat for $175,000.00. The same size boat in a Hallberg-Rassey would probably be double that price.

The interior layout looks comfortable and I’m sure it would work well for a family of four or for two couples doing some cruising.

Furling main sails are a trade off. Do you lose some performance? Yes. Are they easy to sail shorthanded? Yes. I have not had any problems with mine. Some will tell you that they are a nightmare in certain conditions; I have never had any problem. Out last year on a calm day when a front blew in bring 30+ knots and I simply rolled her in just as she was intended to do. It has never jammed going in. If you over roll it on the way in and end up with too much of the sail in the mast, it can sometimes jam on the way out, but that is on me or my crew, not any fault of the equipment.

Personally we are starting to look at larger boats. I asked my wife just yesterday if she wanted to some day cruise the South Pacific and the Coast of South America, etc…. Her response was that we are not ready for that just yet. We currently cruise the Great Lakes and in the not so distant future may want to become island hoppers. So for us our search has lead us back to another Beneteau. They fit our needs. But we will not be looking at the new versions, but rather their previous generation from about 2000 – 2005.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook