SailNet Community - View Single Post - sideways on anchor?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: sideways on anchor?

Are you sure the boat wasn't pointing into the wind, but the swell was coming from Port / Starboard? The swell doesn't always run with the wind due to tides, currents etc.

I have been anchored at night when I awoke because the boat felt like it was in a washing machine. The swell was running about 3 feet and I was taking them broadside because a stiff breeze was 90 degrees out from the wind direction. The boat was pointing into the wind but unfortunately the swell was beating me to death from the side. The wind wasn't that high, but the swell was. On a 22 footer this was very unpleasant. I needed to point into the swell, the wind direction wasn't a concern.

Being exhausted, I went forward and grabbed the anchor line and pulled some bight back to the starboard midship cleat and tied off such that now my anchor line was running out from the boat at a right angle. Now the bow was pointing into the swell nice and gentle with the wind coming directly to starboard. The wind held me nice and square to the rode so that the boat could face the swell.

I would never leave a boat unattended that way, or do this if the wind was strong enough to use that much freeboard to pull the anchor loose. In this case it was just what the doctor ordered and allowed me a few hours peaceful rest.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook