SailNet Community - View Single Post - What kind of interior finish
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: What kind of interior finish

Quote:
Thanks. This video shows it all starting at the :60 mark:
The boat will take a finish nicely. It will need some cleaning, but should come out really nice. The little pieces of trim around the counters and the overhead handholds will just pop with high gloss finish. Pretty easy if you take your time.

Suggestion: Do one area at a time, complete it, then move to the next. That way, it won't be so daunting. Our boat had NO finish except for 20 years of dirt and some sort of oil on top. After replacing the bulkhead in the head, I had to rebuild some cabinetry, so the head got finished first, then I moved to the V Berth, then the cabinets across from the head, then the main salon, then the galley. It took 3 seasons but breaking it up made it manageable. I just didn't want to spend a whole summer refinishing - I wanted to sail.

Too many people are afraid of finishing - you honestly have to work at messing up modern finishes, they're that forgiving. I just didn't want to do the same job each year putting on an oil finish (on an already oily wood). I'd rather do it once and go sailing.