SailNet Community - View Single Post - FrankenBebi
Thread: FrankenBebi
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: FrankenBebi

Hey, Cap. I had discussed some of the technical issues with Michael (Bebi) some time ago, and as you mention "open source" I'd think it worth going over some of the design points you will be choosing. For instance:
How will you be regulating the power to the LEDs?
Will you be stinging them in strings of 4 to make '12-ish' volts, or putting them all in parallel?
Any lightning or surge protection?
How will you be spec'ing the LEDs? Prime LEDs can come in three lots, each 2x different in brightness, as well as three color, making 9 very visibly different LEDs for each single "part" unless oyu pay extra to spec the sorted ones. Which way are you going on that?
And will they be fully potted? If so, in what kind of resin/potting?
Any provision for heeling, i.e. an adequate beamspread vertically by using two or three rings of LEDs?

I wouldn't write off Bebi yet. If they were doing enough business, I'd expect he could set it up again in another location. A lot of their uniqueness was "just" the fact that he was taking the high road and using prime components to build a top-quality product. (Which many folks would only see as "expensive".)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook