SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoalFinder View Post
the RV thing has always been attractive to me, but I always go back to how many hotel rooms I can buy with the money an RV costs. I like camping and an RV isn't quite camping. But I have to admit that as I get older my back sure does keep asking for an RV.

Then I began to see and RV more as a travel convenience than a replacement to camping. It sure is nice to be able to pull over and sleep instead of hunting for a hotel room.

I love sailing more, but I honestly believe the wife and kids would prefer the RV.
I have always thought hey those things use a lot of fuel, can't be much fun to drive and then you got to pay about what you would pay for a hotel room to park them in what amounts to a trailer park crowded with people. So you spend a ton more on fuel and still pay to park them, and they cost thousands, if not 100s of thousands of dollars. They don't make sense to me at all. Sure if you spend a LOT of money they are kind of luxurious but never made any sense to me. I like camping, and want to go someplace where I won't see anyone, you know experience nature, not other drunk people. But you could likely fly places, rent a car, stay in the Ritz for a lot less than what it costs to buy and run a motor home.

But back to the original question, I say rent an RV for a few weeks, then Charter a sailboat for the same amount of time and see what the family likes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook