SailNet Community - View Single Post - FrankenBebi
Thread: FrankenBebi
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013
Noah's Bosun

Cap-Couillon is on a distinguished road
Re: FrankenBebi

Quote:
How will you be regulating the power to the LEDs?
IC chip linear current control
Quote:
Will you be stinging them in strings of 4 to make '12-ish' volts, or putting them all in parallel?
Latest prototype is running 3(s)x5(p) array with current control at 20mA (to match our diodes) Input voltage range 11.9V - 15V DC. Vf for each LED rated at 3.2V and testing shows rated Vf is very close to observed.

Quote:
Any lightning or surge protection?
Not as such.... We will recommend 1A fusing for the circuit the light is connected to. The IC will dissipate over currents up to this level. As to lightning strikes, your cheap anchor light is the least of your worries.

Quote:
How will you be spec'ing the LEDs?
We are binning the LEDs to stay within the USCG requirements (USC33-84.13) Color specification of lights. Using a well known, major manufacturer as a supplier, not a "catch as catch can" cheapo. Output level in mCan is a broader spec, but minimum output in the selected bin exceeds the requirements for visibility at 4nm as specified in USC33-84.15 (table "b" ).

Quote:
And will they be fully potted? If so, in what kind of resin/potting?
Lights will be fully potted using 2 part epoxy potting compound. Selected compound is "loaded" with AO2 to provide thermal conductivity/mass to aid in heat dissipation during high voltage cycles (eg: battery charging) It is recommended the lights be disconnected during battery equalization. We expect to be able to meet or exceed the original Bebi spec of 1m submersion for 1 hr, although as Bebi Electronics stated... If your anchor light is under water for over an hour, you have bigger issues.

Quote:
Any provision for heeling, i.e. an adequate beamspread vertically by using two or three rings of LEDs?
While we are kicking around the idea of "BibiZilla" with a two row 30 LED radial configuration, the initial prototypes with a single row 15 LED configuration provides adequate vertical beam spread to meet USCG requirements for vertical sectors (USC33-84.19) while at anchor. One would not expect a heel much in excess of 2-3 degrees while on the hook which would still allow the lights to remain within the required 60% above and below 7.5 degrees from horizontal. This is an anchor light, not an underway light.

I hope this information has answered your questions. Thanks for your interest and input.
We will release the full specs of parts including current control chip and LED mfg and part # (including bin specs) after prototyping and beta testing is complete.

Cap' Couillon and the FrankenBebi Project

Onboard - Solitaire

Last edited by Cap-Couillon; 10-14-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook