SailNet Community - View Single Post - Problem with new batteries keeping the charge
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-14-2013 Thread Starter
Dog8It

Problem with new batteries keeping the charge

Recently had two new house batteries installed by the yard as part of bigger maintenance project. Engine battery is a relatively new one (about a year old). All batteries are wet-cell. In the process, also changed my old switches from "ALL/1/2/OFF" to just "ON/OFF."

Nonetheless, it seems that the new system is not keeping the charge. I will leave the batteries fully charged by running a charger (shore plugged in) for at least 3-4 hours without any load on the batteries. All three batteries will show a charge of 13.2-13.4V upon completing the charge and then slowly settle to around 12.8V. When leaving the boat for the week, I usually turn off all the switches at the [breaker] panel as well as turning both battery switches to "OFF" position. (The bilge pump is wired directly.) I will also empty the bilge with the hand-held bilge pump.

However, when I come back to the boat a week later, I usually find both of my house batteries down to 12.5V and the engine battery around 12.6V. The bilge is still empty and nothing else is on. I have observed this on several consecutive weeks and it is driving me crazy. The yard mechanic appears to be stumped as well.

Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance.

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome