SailNet Community - View Single Post - Scary night sail
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Scary night sail

I took Charlie and Pat out last Saturday. It was blowing sustained 20 with gusts to 25. Pretty good chop. I'm getting pretty comfortable with this boat.
With a single reef in the main it handled pretty well. Was a little hard to tack but doable. We tacked a couple times and jibed a couple of times.
Tried the jib but that didn't work too well.

Charlie was having a good time but we did run into a couple of problems. Neither of them have very good legs. Charlie's are not functional at all, and his wife's are not very good either.

It is amazing how much you need your legs even if you are sitting when the boat is healing.
They both had a very difficult time staying put.
I had to really work at not healing the boat too much which was pretty hard with that much wind.

I discovered that our dock has a dock flag File:ICS November.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That way if you are flying your flag they will come and help you dock or stop by for drinks if they catch you in Block Island or wherever. Been doing it for 50 years. Only dock to do it the "N" dock. I thought it was pretty cool.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook