SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Comet 31s

And since we are talking about the new Jeanneau 349 and used the Comet 31 has reference let's have a new look at it. When I had posted about it (below) the boat was not even on the Comar site and had not been tested so now there is a lot more information available.

They seem to be very different boats in size (they are in weight 3900kg to 5350kg but on the interior space, length and beam they are closer even if Jeanneau calls to a a boat with a overall length and hull length of 10.34m, 9.97m a 349 and Comet, to a boat with 10.44 and 9.74m calls 31. In fact the difference on the hull length is just 23cm and on the overall lenght the Comet is bigger. Regarding beam and draft both boats are also very similar, being the beamier one the Comet but just for 4cms while the std draft while similar is a bit bigger on the Jeanneau (1.98 to 1.90).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I have passed the new year's eve in Rome and among other things went to have a look at where the Romans keep their boats. Mostly they keep them out of the marina on the river banks, a really nice place and I found there this beauty:

That's a brand new Comet 31 s, so new that they don't have yet pictures in their site

The boat is absolutely gorgeous one of those things you just want to have and I bet that it is a lot of fun to sail. Look at this specs:

Loa. 10,44 m
Hull lenght 9,74 m
beam 3,48 m
Draft 1,90 m
weight 3.900 Kg
ballast std 1.090 kg

Engine 20 hp
Diesel tank 45 lt
Water tank 170 lt

Sails
Main 32.80 m2
Genoa 108% 24.00 m2
Gennaker 85.00 m2

Comar Yachts
CE
Category B-A
Price 69.000,00 €

The numbers look as good as the boat. With 28% of B/D ratio but with all the weight on a bulb at 1.90m and a lot of form stability this small animal can carry a lot of sail and a geenaker with 85m2 for 3900kg is a lot of sail

This beauty should plane very easily: a delightful rocket sailboat that seems to have the potential for coastal cruising and the most amazing is that they say that the boat is certified for offshore work (RCD A category). On a light boat of this size that means a very well designed boat and a seaworthy boat for its size with good stability parameters.

I really like this one
It looked good to me and time proved that it looked good to many because the 31 quickly become the more successful boat (in what regards sells) on the Comet line. it also reveled itself as a very fast boat with cruising potential.

The boat testers have been very enthusiastic about the boat. For instance the Italian SVN (the translation is mine):

"Its fast, agile, very responsive on the tiller. It has a big interior volume and a cockpit that can take 5 with ease. On the interior it has space for 4, even for extensive cruising.

It is a solid boat...we find that it has an optimum price/quality relation.

It is a boat that points to the sportive sailor that wants to sail a lot. It is indicated for fast cruising, even solo and with 4 it can do well in regatta, specially in IRC."

http://www.comaryachts.it/images/Boa...008%202012.pdf

This year I could have a good look at the boat again (there was one at the place where I keep my boat), and talk about it with one of the knowledgeable guys from Comar. Here are the photos I have taken:

As you can see the boat has an unusual transom, I mean it is one with all the beam brought back but faraway from the beam of a boat maximized for downwind sailing like the Pogo 30. The Pogo 30 has a beam of 3.70m and the Comet only 3.48m.

While the Pogo (and the boats that share that type of hull has a chine that limits heeling and maximizes it at a relatively low angle of heel this one has a rounded smooth lateral surface on the side of the transom. The explanation is that they wanted an easy boat downwind but without handicapping upwind performance. That soft surface allows the boat to hell more without the drag caused by the chine at considerable heel angles, taking advantage of the RM provided by the ballast. They said to me that it works and that the boat is a good upwind boat notwithstanding that type of transom that allows a more stable downwind ride that is very important to solo sailing.

The boat has a good interior with a big head but a galley smaller than the one on the Jeanneau. The first boats come with colorful galleys that did not make for a consensual opinion so they can offer those but offer also more discrete options that I think go better with the rest of the interior that is a nice and good quality one.

The price is a nice surprise since it goes in pair with the one of a First 30 and Comets used to be a lot more expensive than First.

Some more photos and a video:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook