SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going to BVI! Bring cash?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Going to BVI! Bring cash?

There have been a number of boat breakins in the BVI of late, both at anchor and at the docks of the charter companies. Recently 3 were caught and arrested (Moorings docks) so it might be a bit better. But the recommendation is to keep valuables, particularly those easily converted to cash such as phones, iPads, etc.) hidden and to lock the boat when not aboard.

There are cash machines dispersed around the islands - several in Road Town, one at Nanny Cay and Soper's Hole and the airport (Trellis Bay) and 2 or 3 in Spanish Town. I'm fairly certain the one in Cane Garden Bay is working again. None on Jost or Anegada as far as I know. Often the machines at Nanny Cay and Soper's are empty or out-of-commission, so keep a bit of buffer amount of cash. Most places one can reach from a boat accept credit cards. Sometimes the phone connections don't work and the places don't want to use their old-fashioned mechanical imprint machines so you might still have to pay cash despite being in a place that accepts cards.
My CC company considers the BVI to be "foreign" and I get charged a surcharge when I use the card there; and it is best to give the CC company a heads-up travel advisory prior to travelling , particularly if you don't travel overseas much, in order to prevent their fraud-detection algorithms to kick in and temporarily block your card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook