SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

We went with our boys, and we were almost the exact opposite of Chuck - we were aboard 15-20 boats, and barely saw any of the vendor tents. I went with a specific shopping list, but only got 1 of the things on the list (refill for Kanberra). I'll have to order everything else online.

I was struck by a few things:
* How many boats require that you stand while steering. High foredecks/doghouses made it really tough for my wife to see forward unless she was standing.
* How nice center cockpit boats are, both because of the cabin layout and the visibility.
* How nice it would be to have a dedicated shower.
* How much bigger I'd have to go to get a dedicated shower.
* Build quality issues and leaks on even brand-new boats.
* Seaward's 46RK would be a great boat for us if we hit the lottery, in part because they address many of the issues above, though sometimes from a very different perspective. The pilot's station inside the cabin is a neat idea; the boat is like a cross between a conventional aft-cabin and a pilothouse. I really liked it a lot.

In the end, the thing that made me happiest was that I didn't see a boat there that was a better fit for our needs than our current boat. Yes, the 46RK would be great, but it's more boat than we need for 3-4 hour sails on the bay.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook