SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

I think a primary question here (which I notice no one has asked yet) is - do you currently sail? Also important - do you live near a good sailing area?

If you don't have much sailing experience, I would start there before making a decision. I would sign you (and spouse if married) up for a cruising course where you live on the water. See how you like it and then decide.

I recently purchased a boat to sail, because I love sailing and wanted to get more practice and expand my skills. However, I have been pleasantly surprised by how wonderful it is to just get out of the city and weekend on the boat, even if it doesn't leave the slip. We have nicknamed the boat 'the country house'. It is a much cheaper alternative to a waterfront home in the area, and even if I'd never host Thanksgiving dinner on the boat, those waterfront homes can't just untie and change the view, either.

As for the RV, I would ask yourself if it really is a much more desirable alternative to car camping. I think this really depends on your proximity to the places you would like to camp and how much time you plan to be out. For me, the threshold would be if I planned to take many extended trips, with multiple stops, where I would be out in all weathers and the convenience of not having to pack and unpack my 'house' and spend multiple days tent-bound in the rain would outweigh the aesthetic pleasures of sleeping outside and the considerably cheaper cost.