SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

TJC45 is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post
Ive been cruising now 5 years and theres a lot of places a boat can't go.

I am looking at RV'ing in North America (Alaska right down to Panama) and Europe, and later back in Australia.

So at some stage I will lay the boat up for a season and hit the roads.

But it wont be a big RV. A camper van is smaller, can be neatly fitted out, better chance of parking on streets etc.

The photo below shows the type of vehicle I have alread done about 22,000 kms (14,000 miles) in the USA about 10 years ago. Very economical - 2 litre engine and fully set up.

I travel to go placees. Sailing is a means to get there and accomodation. So is a camper van /RV
The pop top campers you show in the photo are getting fewer and harder to find. Vdub no longer makes it's van. That said, the type of vehicle you are talking about is known in the USA as a B class motorhome. You can find them out there from basic to tricked out. And it's a very good way to go!

Buttt, if you really want to see the USA, how about a touring bicycle, and some panniers or a trailer?

Sounds crazy? maybe it is? The exact trip you are talking about has been done and more by bicycle. Consider the possibilites! Check this out:

crazyguyonabike.com: Bicycle Touring: A place for bicycle tourists and their journals
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook