SailNet Community - View Single Post - Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013
Advanced beginner

emcentar is on a distinguished road
Re: Would you rather own a sailboat or a RV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by avenger79 View Post
that is a very good question/point. The reason we stopped tenting is because the better half got sick and tired of week long trips where it would rain alll week. everything would be soaked, plus no amenities at all in a tent. so we began the scaling up of how we camp. now days it isn't camping at all. I still like to go out in a tent now and than but I have to admit there is somethin to be said for comfort.

I watched a family in FL trying to set up camp in the rain with a tent. I went out and asked them if they'd like to come in until the storm passed. Their son was amazed at the "camping" I was doing. Hanging out having refreshments watching TV and saying "sure looks bad out there"
I don't miss tenting in the rain at all. LOL

BTW emcentar: Is that your boxer? Mine would never get near the boat, let alone lounge like that LOL
Yes, I think my advice could be summed up more succinctly: start slowly and see which suits you best. Ideally, a sailboat should be an upgrade from weekend club/rental sailing, a RV an upgrade from car camping. I think too many sailboats sit in slips and RVs sit in driveways because people purchased a dream of what they wanted to do, not what they actually do now.

And that's not my boxer, although it could be her sister. Mine isn't a fan of the boat either, although I'm still working on it. She is probably never going to be a sailor, sadly, but I haven't given up on taking her to the boat when I don't plan to leave the slip. She does at least like to nap in the cockpit and watch the seagulls fish now.