SailNet Community - View Single Post - U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

ambitious/rubbish is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

Thanks for the advice guys, much of it is sound. In particular, all advice about weather, and approaches to avoid will be heeded, I don't think there is one right way to do any passage, but there are certainly wrong ways.

The Bahamas is only our first destination around Cuba. From there we are going for Turks-DR-Jamaica-Caymans-Cozumel-Florida. Bahamas as currently planned would be the longest leg, being a 5-6 day passage, while most of the other hops should be 2-3 days of 24 hour cruising.

Also, what may be lost is that I am approaching this trip with a significant amount of flexibility. I certainly intend to make a passage from SC-Bahamas, but if we arrive in Charleston facing 2 weeks of North Wind, I'll be spending that time down the ICW to FL. While I may not be superbly experienced, there is only one way to become an experienced sailor. Proper planning and reasonable precaution will ensure the experience does not come at a great cost. Also, there have been tens of thousands of dollars invested into the boat, including new rigging (lines, checked & cleaned sails), new Raymarine e120 nav. equipment, new high capacity alternator, feathering prop, etc.

Significant planning has been made for this trip, and I feel pretty well prepared, the baot couldn't be more prepared. I wanted to know why my plans were different than most, and if I should reconsider. So far it seems my plans are not out of reach, but I should have serious respect for weather and be prepared to alter plans as need, it seems flexibility would be judicious. As far as I can tell, in the right conditions a passage from SC-Bahamas is feasible and enjoyable, but in the wrong conditions it is miserable and potentially deadly.

Does anyone have a good understanding of the Blake Spur, and what happens with currents around there? Right now, assuming I get a good 4-5 day weather window, the activity around the Spur makes me think the leg has to be due East from Hilton Head above* the Spur, then S/SW to Abacos. Can anyone share insight on the currents/ conditions around the Spur, and whether/why it sound be avoided?

Last edited by ambitious/rubbish; 10-15-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: *edit for clarity, above, not over the Spur
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook