SailNet Community - View Single Post - Staining birch to match interior PCS
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Staining birch to match interior PCS

I just finished installing two new compression posts, a new crossbeam (which supports my deck-stepped mast), and bulkheads in my Pearson 26. The posts and crossbeam are constructed from white oak, and I used Russian Birch plywood for the bulkheads. I'd heard a lot of negative things from almost everyone about Minwax, so I steered clear of that. The only other easily accessible wipe-on stains in my area were made by ZAR. I used their teak stain, and by varying the number of coats and time before wiping off excess, I got the two different woods to look very much alike. I finished everything with seven coats of spar varnish (not urethane). I'm very happy with the results. The ZAR was very easy to work with, very controllable, and covered great.

I don't know if any of that is applicable to your question or not, but I thought I'd post it just in case. I DID seal the exposed edges of the plywood w/ epoxy prior to finishing.

Best to you,

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bblument For This Useful Post:
oceangirl (10-15-2013), RainDog (10-15-2013)