SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace springs on outboard lifting bracket??
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Replace springs on outboard lifting bracket??

This was my first summer with my Edel and its Honda 8HP hanging off a bracket. I had to bust a gut every time that I tried to raise the motor. Pushing the locking lever towards the motor while squeezing through the small back stay triangle and simultaneously trying to lift the motor straight up was a grind.

This past weekend I pulled the boat and removed the outboard for winter storage. As can be seen in the pictures I can compress the springs on the lift bracket with my finger tips.

I was thinking of replacing the entire bracket in the spring BUT:
1. It will be a major effort to get into the hidden part of the stern to remove the 4 nuts that are buried inside the stern.
2. A new bracket will be about $350-$400 which would buy an incredible amount of 100% proof Mt Gay Eclipse Black.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to simply replace the two springs?
2. If so does anyone recognize the logo that is stamped into the support bracket? I would like to reach out to them first for replacements.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor lift logo 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift loose spring.jpg (53.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift springs.jpg (51.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg motor lift side view.jpg (62.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift logo.jpg (54.5 KB, 16 views)

1981 Edel 665
Currently on top of the water and the world @ Lakefront Promenade Marina, Mississauga, ON

Last edited by i_amcdn; 10-15-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook