SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replace springs on outboard lifting bracket??
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

i_amcdn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to i_amcdn Send a message via MSN to i_amcdn Send a message via Yahoo to i_amcdn
Replace springs on outboard lifting bracket??

This was my first summer with my Edel and its Honda 8HP hanging off a bracket. I had to bust a gut every time that I tried to raise the motor. Pushing the locking lever towards the motor while squeezing through the small back stay triangle and simultaneously trying to lift the motor straight up was a grind.

This past weekend I pulled the boat and removed the outboard for winter storage. As can be seen in the pictures I can compress the springs on the lift bracket with my finger tips.

I was thinking of replacing the entire bracket in the spring BUT:
1. It will be a major effort to get into the hidden part of the stern to remove the 4 nuts that are buried inside the stern.
2. A new bracket will be about $350-$400 which would buy an incredible amount of 100% proof Mt Gay Eclipse Black.

My questions are:
1. Is it possible to simply replace the two springs?
2. If so does anyone recognize the logo that is stamped into the support bracket? I would like to reach out to them first for replacements.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor lift logo 2.jpg (50.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift loose spring.jpg (53.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift springs.jpg (51.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg motor lift side view.jpg (62.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Motor lift logo.jpg (54.5 KB, 22 views)

1981 Edel 665
Currently on the hard in downtown Toronto.
Sailing 2014 has now closed shop.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by i_amcdn; 10-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook