SailNet Community - View Single Post - Changing the name of a boat without a name???
View Single Post
post #4 of Old 10-15-2013
Old as Dirt!
Re: Changing the name of a boat without a name???

Originally Posted by krazzz View Post
I recently purchased a 1972 Ericson 32 project boat. I cannot find the old name of the boat anywhere. It is not pained on the hull or mentioned in any paperwork that came with the boat. I know there are strict rules one must follow when changing the name of the boat but what about when the original name is unknown? I don’t want to anger the Gods of the deep. Do I just consider the process to be halfway done and pick up in the middle or do I treat it like you would the naming of a new boat? BTW, I believe the boat has been without a name for at least 10 years, maybe more.
Unless the yacht was documented, and the documentation continued, the "old name" doesn't matter. Nor does/would it matter if you are not going to re-document the boat. If you do not find a documentation number somewhere aboard where it cannot be removed, it was likely never documented and so not an issue.

"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 10-15-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome