SailNet Community - View Single Post - What wood is this cabin sole made off??
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
What wood is this cabin sole made off??

Hello fellow boat nuts, we have upgraded to a Larger Taiwanise Cruiser, a spindrift 43' that had been sitting in south Florida with some very leaky hatches. In turn the cabin sole had some rotten areas, as well as the main companion way stairs. I have rebuilt with solid teak and ash all the structure and sub floor where issues were present. I purchased some holly from hardwoods inc, b grade or something, so slightly grey I guess, but very light i color non the less, assuming it was the right stuff. However the wood that out lines the teak strips on the cabin sole is not as light as holly, in-fact in some spots its darker than the teak, thinking that's just the finish ambering? The cabin sole is composed of half inch marine ply with half inch by 2" teak slats with 1/4"? strips outlining the teak. I thought maybe some maple I had may match better, and it did, much closer than the holly I have, but still off.. I really don't want to high light my repair with something too light. I plan to refinish the entire sole at some point, so finish match is no issue, just the species of wood. I need to identify this wood to make a match, and complete my repair. So What kind of woods were they using on thick solid cabin soles in Taiwan? I Think I have attached a picture of cabin sole, teak and the mystery wood. Any help or ideas would be Fabulous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabin sole.jpg (49.9 KB, 122 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook