SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain to chain connectors on anchor chain
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: Chain to chain connectors on anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Mark, can you comment further on your chain splice? Do you sister in a section of chain around the splice and then shackle it to your anchor chain? Why not forego the “C” link altogether and use the shackle directly?
Because a shackle wont go through the gypsy.
So when the C link comes up through the gypsey I shackle the one foot long bit of chain losely either side of the C link. It takes a slim shackle to go through the chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Speaking of chain – we are a little more than two years away from taking our Catalina 34 down the West Coast of Mexico. I was thinking of going to an all chain rode consisting of ¼ inch proof-coil and 200-250 total length shackled to a 35# ROCNA or Manson anchor. Your thoughts? (not sure, but I might have asked this question before). Do you recommend getting a chain gypsy replacement to the capstan head?
I have 100 meters of 3/8ths inch (really 10mm) chain in the 2 pieces joined. Thats 330 feet.
In the next few months I would like to replace it with one length of 10mm about 80 meters long (Iv'e never used the full 100 meters and the extra is a pain to put the last few meters in without making a hill jambing the bottom of the gypsey.

I think you might like to look at the 250 feet instead of the 200 feet. 250 = 76 meters. Thats a good amount. 200 ft (60 meters) is a little short. imho.

I dont know what you mean by a 'chain gypsy replacement'. If you mean you've had half chain half rode, then yes I agree to get rid of the rode and have the gypsy for chain

Lots of chain is good. I know it gets expensive.

Mark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkofSeaLife For This Useful Post:
RainDog (10-15-2013)