SailNet Community - View Single Post - Problem with new batteries keeping the charge
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2013

Dog8It is on a distinguished road
Re: Problem with new batteries keeping the charge

Hellosailor: Thanks for info. I have checked the date on the batteries and it was 07/2013, so hopefully they did not have enough time to sulfate while sitting around. Also, the voltmeter is newly installed and calibrated (or at least that is what I was told). However, I will check on the maker's numbers for the voltage to see which apply to these batteries. I have double checked that nothing is connected, except for the bilge pump which is direct wired. However, I empty the bilge manually before leaving and check when I come back to see if there is any water to know whether it had a chance to cycle and thus draw anything on the battery.

svHyLyte: Good idea to check on the grounding foil. Will definitely follow up on that and check to make sure there are no leaks through the positive cables. Thanks.

Don0190: I do not believe that sg has been measured on the batteries. Will discuss this with the yard technician. Unfortunately, you are correct in assuming (as it is becoming more and more clear to me) that electrical part of the boat may not necessarily be their strongest area of expertise.

Once again, thank you to everyone who responded to my inquiry as it gives me a better idea as to which additional areas should be explored and addressed in trying to resolve this issue as well as educate myself better on the topic.

Doolittle

Com-Pac 35

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever.
Jacques Yves Cousteau
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook