SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?

Fun conversation. Boat estimates on large jobs, what a mess. None of the other contractors in the yard we work in will touch large projects because of the hassles and exposure to issues involved. No matter how sharp you think you are, there's always a fine line to walk with regards to estimation. I've lost jobs because I used historical data on like jobs and quoted what I thought the job would really cost only to have the customer go with a lowballer and end up paying as much or more for inferior work elsewhere. With large projects there are always hidden issues and delays, ALWAYS. It's a boat. As for materials markup, I go with a flat cost plus 10%, which usually comes out cheaper than what the customer could buy it for. Is that too cheap? Likely so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook