SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013
Move over Joan Rivers!

deniseO30 will become famous soon enough deniseO30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Hiring Contractors - Are component/part prices typically higher than online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
I know all about what architects do. I have built two custom houses utilizing architects. My point is if one thinks trades people are out to get your money, then watch out for the professional architect. I interviewed many architects prior to choosing the one that designed my existing house. Most wanted a fee that was a percentage of the "ESTIMATED" construction cost. This estimate was an estimate the architect would be making. I see know reason why the architect should make a higher fee because I choose a 50 year shingle as opposed to a 20 year shingle. Same for counter tops, the architect spends no more time or skill to spec granite as compared to formica.

I finally found an architect that would design my house for a flat fee, one not based on construction costs. This was good as I acted as owner/builder and no general contractor was involved. Much of the work I sub contracted to licensed trades people. Although I would not recommend it, I never had a written contract with the trades people, only a hand shake. I ended up building the custom house for 1/2 the price a general contractor would have charged. For materials, I purchased these all myself, and arrange delivery, this helped with the cash flow for the trades people and this method is what they preferred.

I have no problem paying people what they are worth, and in many cases, I even give them a little extra for their efforts. In the end I ended up with a house I could never have afforded otherwise.

Your quote:
"The architect is usually selling a dream"
Yea, I agree, they are selling a dream...
Wow.... "what they are worth"... according to you Casey? I'm done with this discussion!

My boat is for sale.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook