SailNet Community - View Single Post - What wood is this cabin sole made off??
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013
young salt

Cruxandreams is on a distinguished road
Re: What wood is this cabin sole made off??

The ply wood is not the issue here, its This "striped looking wood in the pic" which again is no veneer, it is half inch thick by 1/4" wide. The only thing I am trying to show you in the pic is the top half of the picture where you see the 1/4" stripped wood next to the teak. its the striped looking wood in the pic is what rotted out from between the teak, and I am trying to match. I was thinking luan as well, some areas appear stripped like the pic and others not so much. The floor is holding up magnificently every where there were not puddles sitting every time it rained. Overall the cabin sole was designed and built with quality in mind, and compared to countless other boats iv seen over built. I'm surprised the yard would splurge on half inch solid teak flooring instead of using the thin veneer/ ply stuff that most used, then use some an inferior wood for the strips. Im not so sure its terribly inferior though, as I said this boats hatches were cracked bad and it poured in. being in those conditions in south florida for at least a year , I'm very surprised it only penetrated to the extent that it did. Guess ill just have to take a piece to the hard woods place and search for a match.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook