SailNet Community - View Single Post - Problem with new batteries keeping the charge
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Problem with new batteries keeping the charge

dog-
I was told by a battery distributor that for wet cells, some companies actually fill with a different electrolyte (different sg) depending on the climate in the area they are sold to. So if you have "New England" batteries, or "Tropical" batteries, even allowing for temperature corrections there is apparently some difference in what the "right" sg should be, depending on how they were initially filled.

If you really want to keep tabs on the batteries, there are also electronic capacity testers now
Amazon.com: battery capacity tester: Automotive Amazon.com: battery capacity tester: Automotive
Some under $50 and that's a third option. If the tester agrees with the rating, you know they're probably just fine.

I just find anytime I mess with testing sg, there's a new hole burned through something shortly after. And if the electrolyte hasn't had time to equalize in the cell, which can take hours, then you need to suck it up, squirt it back, swirl it around...and let it stand to get the air bubbles out too. SG isn't a panacea either.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook