SailNet Community - View Single Post - Mirage Yachts Ltd
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013

Chas H is on a distinguished road
Re: Mirage Yachts Ltd

There is a leak around the head pump out on my 24. I do not currently have a hose on the fitting so I stuffed a paper towel into the opening below decks last week to see if it would get wet. It was wet with clear water after a recent few days of rain. I also found the outside of the fitting to be wet. One of my old paper charts was on the port side shelf near the companionway which had damp brown water stains on it.

I sailed yesterday afternoon and took some water over the rail beating to windward. When I tied up and went below I saw brown water had dripped down onto the ceiling behind the porta-pot. I think water is running fore and aft in the channel of the inside deck liner. I drilled a small hole in the liner above the head. Nothing came out. If I drill a hole midships I think water would drip/run onto the shelf. I'm tempted but I won't just yet.

I'll need to remove the pump out fitting from the deck this winter. It does not appear to be screwed to the deck. Could it be fastened only with adhesive? Can I twist the pvc fitting off below decks then remove the upper portion from the deck? I'd like to hear the voice of experience before I attempt this fix.
-CH

Last edited by Chas H; 10-16-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook