SailNet Community - View Single Post - Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013
TROUBLE

RTB is on a distinguished road
Re: Circumnavigating the world with NO prior sailing experience ever before

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I have been looking for a sailboat to bluewater cruise in and I have found a boat I like for sale in Hawaii. To get it to the west coast it must be sailed and I am seriously contemplating doing just that with no sailing experience at all.
Sure, go for it.

Just so you know, that doesn't always work out all that well. A friend of mine, with no sailing experience, decided that he wanted to sail around the world. He sold his home, bought an old 41' Palmer Johnson Bounty, spent about six months working on it in San Diego. First stop...Hawaii. A few days in, things weren't going so well for my friend. Eventually, he called for rescue and lost his boat and everything he owned. It's a 5 year old thread at another forum, so just google "offshore sailor needs advice". That should keep you busy for a couple of days.

PS- you could have it shipped, or hire a crew and captain. Maybe even the guy above, since he now does deliveries, and has won his class in the Single Handed Trans Pac. He never gave up, and must have learned from his first "Ill Fated Voyage".

Ralph
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/brogdon/

Last edited by RTB; 10-16-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook