SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013

unimacs is on a distinguished road
Re: Cruising yachts behaving if they're doing us a favour

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am the crew. Not yours but the only one I need in my boat. and I suspect that with you it is the same.

Normally those guys that are asking for money it is not really for crewing as if they needed it but somebody to enjoy the pleasures of sailing being part of a crew and to learn some sailing. If it is so it is natural that some money to be asked not only regarding immediate expenses but all expenses related with a sailboat. If so those values even the higher are pretty low.

If someone really needs a crew to sail his sailboat than money should not be asked but paid.
Good Post.

These kinds of arrangements can be mutually beneficial and enjoyable or horrible experiences. It's good to hear about both so that people know what to be careful of, what sorts of questions to ask, and what precautions to take.

There probably are skippers out there who need/want a crew to help get their boat from point A to point B and will take advantage of the fact there are people who are willing to "share expenses" for the benefit of the experience. The problem is when the experience that they think they will be getting is not in line with what the skipper is prepared/willing/able to deliver.

As far as the poll goes there isn't a set dollar amount that's appropriate. There needs to be an understanding of what the crew and skipper expects to get out of the arrangement and only then can you arrive an appropriate fee or payment.

Last edited by unimacs; 10-17-2013 at 01:52 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to unimacs For This Useful Post:
piclarke (10-18-2013)