SailNet Community - View Single Post - Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013

bratzcpa is on a distinguished road
Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

Like ASDF said above, we just have a little closed off area at the very tip of our v-Berth too, on our Catalina 27. I put one of the Hawse Pipes (see Denise's picture above) on the deck immediately above this little area. It works great. I just lock the Hawse pipe cover open and drop the rode and then the last 20' of chain into the hole. There is a little "notch" in the cover so that can be closed and (relatively) watertight with the chain leading out to the Danforth anchor - - which I have hung on the rail with a pair of 'brackets'. I never have to remove the anchor, or carry heavy gear across the deck from the stern.

At first I was worried that that area below (where the rode and chain get stored) would get wet, and musty, and moldy and nasty. That hasn't happened at all. We lived on the boat for two months in the Bahamas in May/June (HOT, humid, and rainy). Even in that situation, apparently there was enough air moving through there that it wasn't a problem at all.

We are very happy with this solution.

The only downside we've experienced is that sometimes it's a little time consuming to shove the rode and chain down through the hole, particularly difficult if we have the dink tied on the foredeck.

Let me know if you'd like - I'd be glad to send you a picture too.

S/V "New Girl" on the dock

Catalina 27
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook