SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Omer Wing Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by opc11 View Post
Paulo et al,

I was doing some reading and came across the Omer Wing Sail. It seems to greatly simplify rigging, sail inventory and really simplify handling while improving sailing efficiency.

I was wondering if any of you had a particular opinion on these. One thought that came to mind was what effect if any it might have on a boat's stability and it's ability to right itself were it to be knocked down and have the area between the sails fill with water.

Omer wing sail

Regards,
YachtingMonthly tested them on this month edition and I had already posted about the Onesails work on wing sails, that is not the same thing.

The Omer wing sail is complicated, it needs a mast without shrouds, probably an heavy mast, the mast has to rotate and I cannot see clearly how to reef that sail easily. Complicated, expensive probably heavy. Maybe one day for big yachts in the future.

The One sails system seems simpler but the reffing problem remains.

I had posted also about a system that is an add on to the actual sail of the boat and that works with inflation given to the sail an actual wing profile. Seems more reasonable but I am not seeing me doing that in the huge main of may sailboat (a lot of work) and probably would turn reefing into a mess. Maybe for smaller boats. In a small cruiser that should be fun to try the system.

Home 2

I have not more news and I cannot find any movies on the net so I guess it is not a success, at least yet. I seems a good idea to me.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook