SailNet Community - View Single Post - Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013

HUGOSALT is on a distinguished road
Re: Handling Anchor/Rode with no Locker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
I have basically the same setup (and problem) jsut forward of my v-berth only mine is oval. Anchor hangs on the pulpit hangers and the rode is stored below. My rode consists of 35 foot of chain attached to to 165 feet of 1/2" nylon line. Only problem I have is fitting it all in the compartment. Damn near have to jump up and down on it to get the last 10 feet in. Nice thing is the rope locker feeds to the bilge so I can snake it down after doing some modifications. Contrary to my former belief, I am finding that 1/2" twisted line will not feed itself with the slightest change from straight vertical--especially down the inside of a fiberglass hull! Looking at a modification to mine with a fiberglass tunnel and some type of slick covering (maybe heavy visquene glued as a liner?) to get it to slide into the storage area under the v-berth. Will post some pics and the resulting solution--could just be a pic of me with my head hung in disgust tho!
Possible answer for smallish anchor locker or even no
anchor locker...
This spring I bought following at Defender for my
15 lb. Manson day anchor...Yale Nylon Brait 8 strand
200' 1/2" $135. came with nylon thimble, I had them put
a SS thimble on other end.

Much more compact to store than 3 strand, very soft and lays well,doesnt kink, thinking breaking strength around 8,000 lbs... they say one can use smaller diameter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to HUGOSALT For This Useful Post:
nighthawk (10-18-2013)