SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Pogo 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
We spoke about the Océan 35 few days ago. I tried to contact them and ask for a realistic weight and the price tag but the email is invalid...

What do you think is a realistic weight for a fully (cruising-)equipped Pogo 30 and will it still be fast?
There is fast and fast, there is cruising equipment and cruising equipment.

If you mean planning speeds, the boat should be as light as possible. That is a small boat and the same load will be much more detrimental for speed that in a bigger boat and if I remember right Eric in his Pogo 12.50 does not even carry an outboard engine.

Anyway the boat with a "normal" cruising charge for a 30ft would still be fast downwind but would need much more wind and sail area to plan, so much that I doubt that it would be practical solo in cruising mode.

Off course, we would have to define what is a normal charge and what one needs for cruising. That varies widely. Someone that will plan to cruise with a lot of people and charge would not probably want a Pogo 30.

Think of it like a motorcycle versus a car.

It is possible to cruise with a powerful sportive motorcycle (and I have done that) but not ideal to take someone with you neither the camping tents and food. Sure, it can be done and the motorcycle will still be fast in a straight line but would be comparatively more sluggish around bends than a touring car with the same load. On the car that weight, that on the motorcycle makes a big difference, is hardly noticed.

So if you want a Pogo 30 think about cruising light, as light as you can manage.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook