SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
winner 900 / Pogo 30

Few times I have been so surprised as I was by this statement on that global test sail made by Voile magazine:

"Two boats are passing the buoys together, the Pogo 30 and the Winner 900????. Two boats with a very different conception: The Pogo 30 with a beamy modern powerful hull with a simplified interior and the winner with a much more classic hull with a much better interior. Unfortunately we could not judge definitively the performances between the two boats because the winner had not a spinnaker on board."

I have saw the Winner 900 in Dusseldorf, it seems a pretty classic cruiser, like the Dutch ones tend to be, but I would not take it for a very sportive boat, just a fast cruiser on the "old" style:

In fact they have three versions and I bet that the one that was tested with that Pogo 30 was the performance edition, the one on the movie, this one:

The boat is designed by Vand de Stadt design a denomination that pisses me because Vand de stadt passed long ago. The design really is from Cees van Tongeren.

When we look to the dimensions of the sportive version we understand that behind that classical look lays a pretty fast boat, specially upwind:

Length over all: 9.00 m
Waterline: 8.00 m
Width: 2.96 m
Draft: 1.90
Displacement: 3.10 ton
Ballast: 1.20 ton
Mainsail: 31m2

A lot of ballast on that sailboat and almost all in a torpedo at 1.90m is enough to give the power needed to drive fast that narrow hull that does not need a lot of sail.

This is a boat with a conception opposed to the Pogo 30. The weights are not that different (2800kg to 3100kg) but look at the beam (3.70m to 2.96m). the Pogo has a swing keel but it offers also a fixed torpedo keel with 1.90m. On the Pogo the B/D should be smaller as normally is in this type of boats versus narrower boats.

In the end with 6/8K the same speed upwind. I bet that I am not the only one surprised. I hope that they find this as interesting as I and make a full comparative test between the two boats since they could not compare the speeds downwind because the Winner had not a spinnaker.

Of course in high winds the Pogo downwind will start to plan much sooner and will go away but upwind with waves probably the winner will go away too.

Interesting stuff.

There is one thing that is far better on the Pogo interior: space and one that is much better on the winner, interior quality and charm.

Charm is too strong?

Just look at this interior:

http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/fileB...winner900_.swf

Two great boats in their own way I would say

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-18-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook