SailNet Community - View Single Post - U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

night0wl is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitious/rubbish View Post
If I wanted to run 24 hours a day from Hilton Head, SC to say Jacksonville or St. Augustine how feasible would that be? I certainly wouldn't run the ICW at night due to numerous crab pots, fish trap areas, unlit channel marks and related navigational hazards. Will I find similar issues with an onside run SC-FL? What are some of the best ways to mitigate these risks on a budget? With the right combination of charts, spotlights, AIS is a 24/7 run as described reasonably safe, or do I need an infrared/ night vision system to substantially mitigate risk?
I've noticed a trend in your posts...an over-reliance on gizmos and doodads. I was the same way, convinced that all the electronic goodies would help me automate my boat to a point where these passages are easy.

After owning my boat for 5 years, here's what I've learned. *NOTHING* beats sound, rested crew and good ol' Eyeball Mark I.

Rather than focus on AIS, Radar, charts, plotters (all of which are a constant source of breakage and maintenance for me now that I've installed them), focus on finding good sound crew...and making sure there are ENOUGH of you aboard so that you're able to take proper rest and do shifts that are reasonable.

The electronics *help*...but they cannot supplant good rested experienced crew aboard.