SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: winner 900 / Pogo 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Once again: we don’t dislike sailing upwind that much because of performance, but mostly because we know how much faster we will be on any other course. Because starting from a reach, trust me, any Pogo will soon be out of sight of almost any other production monohull.
No doubt about that specially if we consider sailing with a short crew. Other much more expensive small series cruiser racers could keep up or even be faster but they are not as easy to sail and need a crew, not to mention ... a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricKLYC View Post
Concerning the Winner, I very much wonder how they manage to keep the weight down to 3.100 kg, with that traditional (=heavy) interior, high B/D ratio, hand-lay-up GRP (no infusion, only the deck is sandwich), steel frame, aluminium mast, wooden bulkheads etc.
Knowing how obsessed the guys of Structures are with weight (sandwich infused hull, deck, bulkheads, deep composite/lead keel, carbon mast, minimalistic interior, etc.), I find it very difficult to believe the Pogo would only weigh 300 kg less .

But one thing is for sure, the Winner 9.00 certainly must be an excellent boat and I look forward to reading the full report in Voiles Mag’.

Eric
Consider that the Pogo 30 has a beam of 3.7m while the Winner 900 have only about 3.0m. This means that the overall surface to be built is considerably smaller and therefore less heavier. I don't know where you get the information that the hull was not cored. Here they show a cored hull being built:

Winner Yachts Germany - Winner 9.00 bei Nordic Yachting Neustadt

I guess you can read German. There are German test on the net on the Winner 900, but it was not the performance version:

http://www.winner-yachts.de/download...-Winner900.pdf

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 10-18-2013 at 12:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook