SailNet Community - View Single Post - U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

ambitious/rubbish is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

We have a crew of 3, and plan on working with a 3 man rotation, where each member is primarily responsible for 8 hours, and assists another 8 hours, with then 8 more hours for sleep. I'd like to take Hilton Head to Jacksonville/ St. Augustine to test how our rotation will work. Then take a day or two of ICW running south to get closer to a better passage and to rest. This leg skips the worst stretch of ICW through Georgia and provides an opportunity to test how our crew and shift schedule will work.

The issue I face is how many navigational hazards will I face being offshore, but inside the Stream from SC-FL. I know there are far too many unmarked hazards (crab pots, unlit poles) to comfortably do an ICW run over night, but will I face similar issues 10-20 miles offshore? If you had any insight into this particular passage offshore from SC-FL regarding any points that are relevant to navigation (unlit buoys, unmarked obstructions, etc), that would be of great assistance, as charts and maps only tell a partial story. Like everything else on the water there is no substitute for experience and local knowledge, so I'm after insight beyond what I can research myself. I've viewed charts, so I have some understanding of the passage and I cannot see why I shouldn't be able to run at night in that stretch of water. If I am missing something regarding this particular stretch of ocean please share. Otherwise, happy travels.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook