SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

4arch is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Sailboat Show Observations & Notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
Not at all what I was saying. After what I saw at the show, this year and recently, I would be more inclined to spend my $$ on an older used "Tartan, Sabre or some other high end boat" of equivalent cost then a new Clorox bottle.
I don't disagree with you in principle but in our shopping we're finding the older the boat, the more likely it is to have age and deferred maintenance related issues no matter what the initial build quality and we're not looking for a project. A lot of the component parts like sails, deck hardware, canvas, wiring, tanks, hoses, and engines are from the same vendors across many brands and their life expectancy is likewise the same whether installed on a Hinckley or a Hunter. We're becoming less focused on buying a particular brand than we are on buying a previous owner who stayed on top of maintenance and upgrades. We're willing to accept a boat that has bleach bottle characteristics if it gets us the gear and maintenance levels we want at a price that fits our budget. I think that's the trade off a lot of buyers weigh out and ultimately there's no right or wrong answer.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook