SailNet Community - View Single Post - U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013
Call me Ishmael

blowinstink is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambitious/rubbish View Post
I could see why you'd want to shorten the schedules, as we rotated every hour or two at the helm while on the ICW, due to the associated fatigue. However, assuming we get the right schedule together that fits our crew, a 48 hour continuous hall from HH, SC to North Florida is feasible and relatively safe? There are no significant crabbing areas, or other navigational hazards that wouldn't show on a chart or GPS that need to be planned for, or maybe avoided? While fatigue is a concern I feel it would be much better to find out hey our plan for 24-72 hours of continuous sailing is rubbish between SC-FL, rather than between Abacos-Provo. Sounds like fatigue is the greatest concern, but what are some others? We did do some pre-dawn mornings on the ICW, most notably leaving Georgetown, SC and while mentally taxing we were only an hour or so before sunrise, a full night of sailing is a much greater commitment, so I want to make sure it's reasonable. 8-12 hours of what I experienced in the mornings leaving Georgetown and other places would be too much, I literally need a more open ocean relatively free of potential snags and hazards or night time travel is not worth it, so am I correct to believe I have that SC-North Florida?
Where are you coming up with 48 hours? In a 45' boat you ought to be able to do the entire Charleston to JAX in well under amount of time. Port Royal Sound (Hilton Head) is significantly closer (50NM less?) -- maybe a 24/hr run tops. If you want to go offshore to test the crew and save some time on the ICW, I'd head out from Charleston. You'll still be inside the gulf stream. The rhumb line from Charleston to JAX is under 200 NM. I don't understand the big concern about uncharted stuff out there. If you get 10-15 miles off before you head south (maybe the 10 fathom line?) and keep an active watch, you should be fine. I've only done it 2x so I am hardly the expert, but I'd study the charts (know your distances / times fall off points -- get the Dodge SE USA Inlets book as a backup) pick your weather window and go. Do you have the Maptech Norfolk to Florida Chartkit? This trip (leaving either from Port Royal or Charleston) is pretty easy to set up with that Chartkit. Leaving Charleston may even be easier simply because the coast falls away more and you get it out of your way.
-M

Last edited by blowinstink; 10-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook