SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reviews of some places on the Long Island Sound
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

BarryL is on a distinguished road
Reviews of some places on the Long Island Sound

Hello,

My cruising is done for 2013. I stayed at a number of places across the sound. I'll give a short review of each.

Mattituck - Strong's Waterclub and Marina.
This used to be Matt A Mar. I had not been here since 2005. Strongs seems to be putting a good effort into fixing this place up. The slips were nice. The heads were nice, but kind of far from the slips. The grounds are beautiful. They have a very nice pool. The restaurant was not open yet. We walked to town (about 10 minutes) and enjoyed the small town and found a nice place to have dinner.
Note that the creek from the Sound to Mattituck is long and meandering and does not have a lot of water. We arrived and left at mid / high tide and there was 5' of water in the middle of the channel in a few places. No problem with the 4.5' draft of my O'day but I don't think I would try with a 6' or greater draft.

Captains Cove at Black Rock Harbor
I have stayed here a number of times. Very nice people, very affordable ($2 / foot in the middle of the season), and easy to deal with - no need to make a reservation, just call us when you arrive. No town to walk to, and not much to do on the grounds. I like the restaurant - it's simple but cheap and I like the fried seafood. They have a great bar upstairs and frequently have live music if you like that sort of stuff. Great to arrive around dinner, spend the night, then leave the next day.

Northport - Seymoures yard.
Stayed on a mooring numerous times. The prices are reasonable ($50 / night) and the launch service is excellent. The shore side facilities are limited. The location is great, right next to main street. I grew up on Northport so it's like coming home for me. I could spend a few days here. I would day sail in northport / huntington bay and then return to the mooring in the evening.
I have also stayed at Brittania Yacht Club. Very nice place with great grounds and pool. But too far from Northport village

Bewers Yacht Haven in Stamford CT
Spent a night here in Mid September. Nice docks and nice dockhands (even though they told me port side tie when it was a starboard tie, which caused a bit of a Chinese fire drill [can you still say that] when we arrived with a pretty good cross wind but that's another story). You can walk to town, which had restaurants and shops. Not much at marina besides nice weber grills on the docks. The boats tied at the marina very VERY impressive. My 35' O'day was one of the smallest boats there. Right behind us was a Sabre 426, next to him was a C&C 121, and a J 120, plus lots and lots of other real nice boats. No pool, restaurant, playground, etc. The heads were very nice and close by too.

Setauket Yacht Club, Port Jefferson
Stayed on a mooring a few times. Pretty cheap, decent launch service. Real close to Port Jeff with all the places to see there. The moorings are nice but beware of a north wind - you will be rocking all night long. The club house is decent too.

Mystic Shipyard West - Mystic CT.
This is where my new boat was located. The place seemed nice enough. I don't know how expensive it is. Great location - easy walk to Mystic village, which I really like. Fixed docks, which I don't like - I never know how to adjust my dock lines. The slips have a small finger pier and two pilings. Kind of yard to get in and out with any sort of breeze blowing, but that may be because I rarely stay in slips like that. The grounds and heads are nice. Kind of a long way from Fishers Island sound and the channel really meanders. You better pay attention to the navaids because there is thin water outside the channel.

I guess that's it for now.

Barry
Mt. Sinai, NY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BarryL; 10-18-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryL For This Useful Post:
eherlihy (12-07-2013)