SailNet Community - View Single Post - U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013
Over Hill Sailing Club

smurphny is on a distinguished road
Re: U.S.-Bahamas, Crossing the Stream

There are no crab pots in the ocean. Radar is almost essential running at night to pick up buoys and to monitor large ships. There are quite a few private offshore buoys, fish sanctuary buoys, and structures with no lights (like the Frying Pan Shoals platform). Radar gives you a clear picture of what's around you. I almost always pick things up on Radar well before seeing them at night, especially if there is no moonlight to help and it's rough. Charleston to The St. John River is an easy, straightforward ocean passage. Just be mindful of the warships and LARGE container ships entering the St. John. As far as hitting stuff at night, IMO the chances are pretty small. There does not seem to be lot of flotsam. If there were a flood or something and rivers were spitting out tree trunks, I'd begin to worry about it. Sailing by the stars at night is wonderful.

One thing about electronic charts to be aware of is that you need to check all the layers because some unlit buoys will not show up on all the different scale layers of the same area. One layer will show them, the next....gone!

Last edited by smurphny; 10-18-2013 at 07:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook