SailNet Community - View Single Post - Warning warning advertising for paying crew
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013

piclarke is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Re: Warning warning advertising for paying crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by benesailor View Post
After reviewing the website for the "expedition", who would lap up this stuff? Last updated Dec 2011? Is anyone qualified to be sailing this 120 foot ship? Eating granola with a Harvard degree doesn't qualify you.
I had all sorts of alarm bells go up. No way i would step foot on this boat unless they were paying me.

To the OP; you got what you paid for. It looks like it is all spelled out on their website.
Paying/Picking garbage/living with garbage/ rice eating, granola munching/ kuum by ya

THIS does not mean that i have an objection to the pay and play style of cruising. There are way to many granola eaters looking for a free vacation.
Here is a quote from a webmaster and sailing publisher.

"Crew can legitimately be requested to pay much of their own expenses when it comes to food, alcohol and entertainment....expenses which would not be incurred by the vessel's owner if the crew were not on board. However the owner/skipper still needs to make some concessions, as without the crew many vessels simply could not move for more than a day at a time. Owners should pay for normal running expenses and still buy the crew a good feed after a passage.

I am not abnormally vain, but I like to think that when crew leaves me behind, they take with them positive memories about the trip, the boat and me.

'User pays' is a fact of life for banks, insurance companies, communications and airlines conglomerates...but as cruisers we still inhabit a world of sharing experiences, caring and courtesy.

I see nothing wrong with trying to make money from sailing if that is what takes your fancy; but be honest about it, get certified, surveyed, compete with legitimate charter boats, and pay for your marketing.

David. "

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.